I can write Jekyll posts with reStructuredText now.
I spent the last few days fiddling with Pelican and Nikola to see how much work it would take to convert my site. So far? Lots of work. I customized the build for this silly site quite a bit.
Meanwhile I decided that I must have reStructuredText available for my posts. I grabbed the jekyll-rst Jekyll plugin and followed its directions.
$ mkvirtualenv jekyll-rst $ pip install docutils pygments $ gem install RbST $ git submodule add https://github.com/xdissent/jekyll-rst.git _plugins/jekyll-rst
Let me just build real quick to make sure this works at all.
$ bundle exec jekyll build -D # ... TypeError: Unicode-objects must be encoded before hashing Exiting due to error. Use "--traceback" to diagnose. Please report errors to <email@example.com>. Include "--traceback" output, Docutils version (0.12 [release]), Python version (3.4.3), your OS type & version, and the command line used.
Oh I know that smell. You get that with code that isn’t completely ready for Python 3. Here’s the smallest change to make that error go away.
# _plugins/jekyll-rst/directives.py line 54-55 content_text = u'\n'.join(self.content).encode('utf-8') cache_file_name = u'%s-%s.html' % (lexer_name, hashlib.md5(content_text).hexdigest())
Now it builds.
Then I ripped out all the special options because that was easier than adjusting my stylesheets to take them into account.
So. It works. Yay! I can write Jekyll posts with reStructuredText!
That should keep me a little happier while I continue porting the site to another generator.