The picot edge was so satisfying that I decided to add a couple more new techniques. First was the Roman stitch on the hat body, which came from A Treasury of Knitting Patterns. The pattern instructions from the book are for knitting flat. I adapted them for knitting in the round.
Adapted Roman stitch
- Rows 1-4
- Row 5
- Row 6
I wasn’t done with new stuff, though. I decided it was time for my first pom pom. Wandered off to YouTube to see the process in action.
I needed to see someone making a pom pom.
Finally, I realized I also needed to see someone attach a pom pom to a hat. The hat in the video is crochet, but the principle is the same.
After all that, the hat came out quite nice. It fit my head comfortably. The pom pom stays securely attached. The Roman Stitch feels nice when I rub my hands on the hat.
So naturally I’m taking the hat down to the post office tomorrow to ship off for a friend. Their head has the same circumference as mine. At this point, I worry less about the fate of my projects. I can make more.