Site

Posts where something interesting happened with the site itself.

Work Break with Eleventy

Work Break with Eleventy

Forced myself to take a couple hours out of a ridiculous work schedule to putter on the site. Trying out something with Eleventy and the eleventy-base-blog starter.

Ox Hugo for the Orgconfig

Ox Hugo for the Orgconfig

Putting a couple how-to details down for easy searching later

Read on…

Working on Breadcrumbs

Working on Breadcrumbs

Starting a new job on Monday, which is pretty exciting. Also, figured out a whole bunch of breadcrumb and timeline stuff for the site, starting from a shortcode example I never noticed in the Hugo documents before.

Hoping I finish before I get all distracted on Monday.

Wanted a uses page, made a config section

All jealous of john sj anderson’s uses page. Started making my own. Decided it would be easier just to share my config. Might as well, since Hugo directly supports org content via go-org.

I’ll add /uses later. Anyways, time for music.

Alias Templates in Hugo

Alias Templates in Hugo

I killed some redirects for accessibility and likes

Read on…

Letting Ruby build Asciidoctor files for Hugo

Letting Ruby build Asciidoctor files for Hugo

Stuff like this is why i don’t advertise my site repo

Read on…

I Added 10 Seconds to Build Time!

I Added 10 Seconds to Build Time!

I finally have year/month archives on my site. Bookmarked a post on the topic by Adam Jarret a while back. Finally did it. In Perl, though. Not Node.js.

The build time problem comes from following his template logic - based on a Jekyll plugin. Got some ideas, but they’ll wait. Now it’s bedtime.

Shaved 3 Seconds Off Site Build Time!

And I spent two days doing it. So let’s see. If I somehow post every day, that work should pay off somewhere around — counts on fingers — 2026?

Okay I did other stuff besides microoptimization, but still. I am amused.

Querying Hugo Content With Python

Querying Hugo Content With Python

I had entirely too much fun replacing my site metadata script with sqlite-utils

Read on…

Sorry if I Broke Your Rss Feed

Sorry if I Broke Your Rss Feed

But hey I got my permalinks where I wanted them, without needing a UUID after all. Took a bit of juggling to get the Hugo aliases and my support data synced up. You folks got the Jamstack — JavaScript, APIs, Markup — for your static sites. I got — uh, guess I got the “Damstack” — Database, APIs, Markup — for my static site.

Blame fREW. For the idea. Not the terrible name. That’s all me, friends.